Country Profiles

Gabon - Country Profile

Status and Trends of Biodiversity


Forests cover 85% of Gabon, while savannahs, mangroves and wetlands, among others, cover the remaining 15%. Forests in Gabon comprise an estimated 8000 plant species with a 20% endemism rate. The Monts de Cristal constitute Gabon’s richest region, and probably one of the richest in all tropical Africa, in terms of the number of plant species. Gabon possesses 600 birds, 150 mammals, and 100 amphibians

National Biodiversity Strategy Action Plan

Major features of National Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plan

The NBSAP comprises two types of objectives. The “development objective” aims to integrate biodiversity conservation issues in economic development planning, and the “specific objective” aims to exploit and protect biodiversity in a sustainable manner. Activities will be undertaken in regard to: forests; freshwater; marine and coastal zones; agrobiodiversity; local and indigenous knowledge; biosafety; protected areas; and public participation.